Current geneva 100 dating site
The area is currently experiencing a high level of population growth as Chicago's urban sprawl spreads farther west.
Geneva is a popular tourist destination with its scenic location along the Fox River and numerous shops and restaurants.
In 2013 it was nominated by Bloomsberg Business Week as the best place to raise a kid in Illinois.
Geneva was first settled in the 1830s on an important route from Chicago.
Daniel Shaw Haight was the first settler in Geneva.
Haight sold his claim in 1835 to James and Charity Herrington, who were influential in the creation of the town of Geneva. Richard Hamilton, a prominent Cook County politician, led to the naming of Geneva as county seat in 1836.
The town was platted a year later and was probably named after Geneva, New York.
A courthouse and jail were among the first major works. While its site as a county seat attracted attention, the village's location on the Fox River provided the most economic opportunities.
Early goods manufactured in Geneva included cheese, butter, milled grains, and packed meat.
The connection of the railroad in 1853 provided increased demand for industry, and by 1900, Appleton Manufacturing, Howell Foundry, Bennet Milling Co., and Pope Glucose Co. This resulted in major civic improvement projects such as a pumping stations and water mains in 1896.
Geneva was particularly noted for its flux of Swedish immigrants, who comprised half of the population by 1900.
A year later, Geneva was connected to other Fox Valley communities through the Aurora, Elgin and Fox River Electric Company.
The five-story wooden smock mill with a stage, which stands 68 feet (21 m) tall, sits upon the onetime estate of Colonel George Fabyan, but is now part of the Kane County Forest Preserve District.